Welcome to Estrella Mountain Community College's adjunct faculty orientation. It contains several parts, covering the basic information you need to be a part of our teaching and learning community. This section of the orientation is organized by what you need to do before you start to teach, important activities on the first day of class, and milestones as the semester progresses.
You may also go through the sections of the orientation by topic. To do this, click on the book navigation at the bottom of this page.
Here is a summary of the basic steps in chronological order. You can find the links for each section at the left of this page.
Before Classes Start
- Obtain support in the Adjunct Faculty Office
- Get your badge and access to your classroom in College Public Safety
- Get your parking decal in College Public Safety
- Find out where your classroom is
- Understand FERPA / Complete tutorial
- Complete Certificate of Understanding and Conditions of Employment. It is on the last page of the Adjunct Faculty Handbook. This should be returned to your Division Secretary
- Login to your Gmail account
- Print your roster from SIS (please note that you need to be in Internet Explorer or Safari, or Mozilla Firefox to access this link. You cannot use Google Chrome to access this link)
- Familiarize yourself with Campus Emergency Procedures and Emergency Preparedness
- Compose your syllabus
- Email your syllabus to your Division Chair
- Copy your syllabus for your students or post it in Canvas
- Build your course in Canvas
The First Day of Class
- Go over your syllabus with your students
- Acquaint your students with Learning Support on campus
- Acquaint your students with Veterans’ Services on campus
- Collect Disability Services forms from students who have them
- Drop any "no-shows"
- Report enrollment irregularities
As the Semester Progresses
- Identify at-risk students through Early Alert
- Clean up and verify your 45th Day Rosters (please note that you need to be in Internet Explorer or Safari, or Mozilla Firefox to access this link. You cannot use Google Chrome to access this link)
- Deal with difficult students
- Meet off campus
- Schedule make up exams
- Find a substitute through your Division Chair and Secretary
- Report final grades (please note that you need to be in Internet Explorer or Safari, or Mozilla Firefox to access this link. You cannot use Google Chrome to access this link)